Friday, May 25, 2012

Carrie Newcomer: Holy, Joyful Day!

Holy is the place I stand
To give whatever small good I can
The empty page, the open book
Redemption everywhere I look
~Carrie Newcomer

My heart is full of joy and gratitude when I think about Carrie Newcomer and her presence on this planet.  Today I especially celebrate Carrie's life and all of the music, wisdom, stories, and love that comes through her and that she shares so authentically and generously with the world.

I first met Carrie in February 1993 in Bloomington, IN while I was a graduate student at Indiana University. She was playing a concert at Bear's Place and said something that apparently I found quite humorous as I let out a loud cackle. (I have a very distinctive, loud laugh I am told....). Nobody else laughed, and Carrie said, "I must have found my metaphysical connection in the audience. She laughs, but nobody else does. We should have coffee."

Well little did she know at the time that you don't ask Jill Stratton to have coffee and not have me follow up on that offer!  So although it took some time to coordinate our schedules, Carrie and I finally got together for lunch at the Uptown Cafe in May 1993. Since then, I have been one of Carrie's biggest fans and at one point, I was even her manager.

I once told Carrie that I would walk to the ends of the earth for her and her music. I believe that strongly in the power of Carrie's music to transform, heal, and move people.

Carrie, Parker, & Jill
Parker Palmer claims, "It is a mark of spiritual range as well as artistic virtuosity when a singer-songwriter can make you dance one moment, laugh the next, and then take you to a deeply moving, even prayerful place, as she touches on regret, loss, or grief, or on the wonder of being alive. Carrie’s music does all of this for me, and more."

I would still walk to the ends of the earth to support Carrie and her music.









No comments: