Sunday, April 17, 2011

We Stand on the Shoulders of Those Who Come Before Us


“We stand on the shoulders of those who come before us.”
--Maya Angelou

At this time in the spring semester, we have a tradition of meeting with the returning Wash U RAs thirty minutes prior to welcoming the new RAs and signing contracts. We discuss the importance of their stepping up as leaders and role models for the staff. We thank them for recommitting for a second or perhaps third year.

We also take the opportunity to remind them that they are a part of a long line of RAs—a strong program built on the foundation of student leaders dedicated to creating respectful, welcoming communities, to helping their residents succeed both in and outside of the classroom, and to being part of a team that cares about one another.

I then mention that I “see” former RA sitting amongst them. I even list off names of former RAs that I see (at which time, I make fun of myself for “seeing” people who are not actually there.)

This year, I saw Debbie Busler, Aimee Israel, Michelle Purdy, Erin Stafford, Tim Bono, Sagar Ravi, Katherine Clapham, Taylor Poling, Jimmy Cox, Caitlin Hearns, and Mike Pope (mostly I heard Mike Pope singing). I truly feel the presence of all of the RAs I have had the honor of knowing over the last 18 years. They are in the room. Their presence is in our midst.

We stand on their shoulders.

We are the organization that we are because of the dedicated RAs that have come before us.

This weekend, I literally had the opportunity to see many of those RAs who were on campus for Young Alumni Reunion and was reminded of their enthusiasm, their strengths, their commitment, their sense of humor, and their leadership.

Several RA alums commented that RA training has created not only an enduring memory, but that it has also developed a lasting impact on how they approach both their professional and personal lives.

Diversity training, “I” statements, nonverbal communication, programming, team building, and the ever popular “leaving places cleaner then we found them.”

This mantra has transformed into leaving people and places better than we found them. And that is exactly what the Wash U RA alums have done.

Thank you. We continue to stand on your shoulders.

No comments: